Thursday, July 10, 2014

Top 10 Tips & Tricks to Survive No Air Conditioning System



Guess what my husband and I discovered last month when the heat started rolling in ... we have NO air conditioning system; nothing, zilch, zotta- zero! Oh how I love college living. Last night my daughter woke up in panic mode, the apartment was ridiculously hot. Later at 2:00 a.m. I went to check the temperature. My mouth dropped when I saw the reading of 84 degrees Fahrenheit. Luckily, my husband was able to rock our daughter back to sleep with the help of our $20 Walmart fan (hope that little fan survives the summer). 

Below are ways that have helped my family survive the no AC problem. If you do have AC, but you are trying to save money on electricity; here are my top 10 tips and tricks!


1. Gulp...Gulp...Gulp 

During the summer months it's a necessity to consume extra amounts of water. This simple step prevents dehydration and heatstroke. While it's easy for parents to remember and realize thirst, it's best to remind children when it's time to drink water.  One of the easiest ways I have been able to keep track of my families water consumption is through water bottles. Keep the water bottles in the freezer or fridge for ultimate relief from the heat. Have your kids keep a tally mark on a chalkboard or paper next to the fridge for every ounce they consume. Now staying hydrated can be used as a game! 

2. Turn that Off - NOW

I love baking fun treats in the oven, mmm cupcakes, unfortunately there is a huge problem! Not having an air conditioner during the summer makes baking a nightmare. Heat rises from the oven, and disperses in the home or in my case a tiny one bedroom apartment making life with a baby pretty challenging. Avoid cooking and baking during the heat of the day 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Enjoy those cold foods :)

3. Splish, Splash

Swimming at the pool is a great way to cool down, while helping your kids to play.  If you don't have a pool or don't want to pay for that activity, there are many other options. Make a good old fashioned slip in slide! Use a tarp and spray that big boy down with water and have fun! Another option is to turn the sprinklers on and let your kids run through them. Heck, why don't you do run through the sprinklers too? Who cares if the neighbors are watching - HAVE FUN with your kids, they will only be small for a short period. 

4. Freeze, then Play 

Most teething toys have the option to place in a freezer. Even if your baby isn't teething, when it's hot enough your little one will play with the cold toy! My daughter enjoys rubbing the cold toys against her lips and face. What an easy way to cool your kids down. 

5. Open Sesame 

I've made the mistake SO many times of leaving the windows open during the day, and then the heat seeps into my home. Only open your windows at night and close them immediately in the morning to avoid accidentally heating your home.  Make sure to close your blinds during the heat of the day (lunch time). Even though you may feel like a vampire; this step helps keep heat out!

6. Ice, Ice Baby

Place frozen ice packs on your wrist, neck and feet to help during the heat of the day. I have two small ice packs for each person in the house. Two is better than one when it comes to cooling down. You will thank me later ;)

7. Rise N' Shine

Run, jog, walk or bike is best to do during the early morning. I love taking my daughter on stroller rides around 7:30 a.m. while there is enough light to see, but not to be burned.  Exercising at this time also lowers the chances of sunburn! Why exercise during the middle of the day, when the sun is scorching hot? Get an early start to the day with exercise and help your children stay active. 

8. During the Heat of the Day

As the temperatures rise go inside. Try to plan outdoor activities for your children before 11:00 a.m. and after 4:00 p.m. to avoid sunburns and heatstroke. Crafts, games, chores and other activities can be used during this time slot. Make a list with your children about indoor activities they would enjoy doing this summer - you might be surprised with the ideas your children have to offer. 

9. What to Wear

Whether you are stay inside or going outdoors, make sure to wear clothing that breathes easily. Cotton provides comfort without sticking to your skin. Avoid wearing polyester the fabric does not breathe well! Next, make sure your clothing is light colored this will help prevent heatstroke.  If you are taking your children outside make sure to pack a sun hat for each child to avoid sunburns. 

10. Num...Num...Num

There are so many wonderfully tasty foods that don't need to be heated during the summer. Try a delicious smoothie, fresh fruit, sandwich or salad. The possibilities are endless! Only one caution don't eat or drink too fast this may result in a brain freeze...brrr!



Stay cool and have a fun summer!


-Tiffany





39 comments:

  1. Such good tips!! Our house only has a window unit AC, which is awesome most of the time but when it gets up in the 90's, it has a hard time keeping up. Thank you for sharing!
    (visiting from Party in your PJ's)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April! Thanks for visiting! I've heard really good things about AC window units - glad to hear it's working well most of the time!

      Delete
  2. We went without air one steamy GA summer because we really needed to cut back. It really wasn't all that bad after we got used to it. My favorite part was enjoying the late evenings laying out on a quilt on the lawn watching the stars with my hubby {it's much cooler outside than inside}! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and star gazing is such a great frugal family activity to escape the heat! I will definitely do that this weekend:)

      Delete
  3. We live in a large home with no central air. We have 3 window units that we have strategically placed in upstairs bedrooms and during the day, just one or two keeps the entire house cool. We also use thermal window coverings on the western side of the house to keep the sun from heating the house. Great tips! Would love for you to stop by Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I just stopped by Fridays Unfolded! So many great ideas for the weekend!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the ideas! It's gotten hot here in Northern California and I don't have central air.
    My husband takes cold showers... and I take cool ones when I'm hot. I'm too much of a wimp to go totally cold, though.
    I used to live in Tucson, AZ with a swamp cooler. We would go hang out in the library, which has AC and read books when it got really bad. Some days you could literally see the heat coming off the blacktop, distorting the air, and you could feel the heat through the soles of your shoes.
    I made homemade pizza the other day. I baked it at 7 a.m. and so we ate it as leftovers because it was too hot to bake any other time. Besides, I did have a slice with my breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Northern California, so beautiful! Hope the weather starts to cool down. I'm in Utah and the dry hot wind makes my skin dry up like an alligator!
      I should probably start baking in the morning to avoid the heat - thanks for the idea :)

      Delete
  5. Visiting from Bewitch Me & Titi Link Party! Great tips! My house has no A/C and is always scorching. I loved the tips about closing windows during the day, I usually have windows open during the day. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Glad you found the tips useful! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  6. For years I have been closing the windows and the curtains to keep the heat out during the day. And I only cook after sunset, so I will often make something after the kids go to bed to eat the next day. Hello from Say G'Day Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike :) Thanks for stopping by Melissa!

      Delete
  7. Great tips! I only have a one window until in my apartment, which just keeps it bearable. I will definitely be practicing some of these ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I hope the tips and tricks will work for you! I know they have sure made our apartment much more bearable ;) Have a great day!

      Delete
  8. I am lucky enough to have AC, but one of my best friends is 7 months pregnant and does not. So I am passing these tips on to her! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! Hope some of these tips can help her stay cool during this hot summer! :)

      Delete
  9. Hopping over from teach me Tuesday. What a great set of tips. Some of these I hadn't thought of before, like the teething ring trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you found this helpful! My daughter loves the teething ring trick :) Hope you have a great day.

      Delete
  10. Really great tips! We are so use to AC that we forget what it was really like before we had it. How did we ever survive? lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I grew up with AC and the first year without AC was quite a reality check! lol

      Delete
  11. 84 isn't hot to me :) In fact, it's about right so I'm not cold! hehe
    Yes, I get cold easily.
    You have some great ideas and lots of common sense on staying cool.
    We keep blowing the fuse that runs the central air for some reason. It also runs the dishwasher and the garbage disposal, but those aren't a big deal.
    We keep our air on 79 and in the evening I still end up wearing my sweater in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you can wear a sweater when it's 79! I would love that! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Great tips!
    Come link up with me today!
    http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just linked up! Thanks for inviting me over. Have a good day!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like some great ideas for using less AC or living without AC! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips for summer! Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links on Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  15. Thank you so much for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday linky party last week. We hope to see you again this week. http://3glol.net/2014/07/21/teach-tuesday-13/

    Have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I linked up - love the party!

      Delete
  16. AWESOME tips!!!! I will have to pass this along to my friend in the NE that doesn't have airconditioning. Thanks for sharing with What You Wish Wednesday. Come back this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope your friend is able to use these tips :)

      Delete
  17. Wonderful tips, but whew, I'm not sure I could survive without AC!!! Thanks for sharing on Hump Day Happenings : )

    ReplyDelete


  18. Found your blog. It is full of really good information. Thank you for sharing. If you ever need service on your furnace, air conditioner or water heater please visit us at rheemteamcomfort.com. We would love it if you would have a look at some of our blogs and let us know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When it's about home or small commercial cooling we think about electricity savings.I appreciate this blog to share this information.but in office what is the environment and culture? Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Get all concept of commercial air condition system in office from accutrolhvac.com.If you are finding human comfort and safety don't forget to get touch with our daily blogs..

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete





  23. Great information here. Thank you for sharing. If you are ever in a need of
    locksmith denver
    Services we are Aurora Locksmith Services. You can find us at auroralocksmithco.com.com or call us at: (720) 220-4851.

    ReplyDelete